Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01

This is super cliche, but I can't believe it has been 10 years.  I'm not going to go into what 9/11 means to me or how it's changed the country.  Everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news, but I'd also like to give a fun fact about that day.

I was a 16 year old sophomore at New Covenant in Springfield in Mrs. Gerla's computer class when our principal, Mr. Mitchell (aka Big Poppa) came over the intercom saying that a plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers.  I don't remember what else he said, I was too busy picturing a Cessna bumping into a building.  He had everyone gather in the parking lot to go over the news in more detail and say a prayer.  I was struck by my friend Andrew, whose dad was a pilot.  Bless his heart, he was terrified and emotional and crying like crazy.  At that point, I realized it was more than just a Cessna accidentally running into a building.  After the prayer, we were all brought inside, and were allowed to go into the library (the only room with a tv), to see coverage.  That's when the second plane hit.  All of the other grades stayed in the library all day to see what was going on.  For some reason, the sophomores were forced to go back to all their classes, so I couldn't follow everything live.  Here's where the fun fact comes in.  That morning, before all the craziness started, my mom told me she was going to come get me around lunch time to take me to the DMV so I could get my driver's permit.  When she got there, I was called down to the office, and my mom said "Why are the flags lowered?" So sweet Mom had no clue what was happening and proceeded to take me to get my permit (nailed it), while I tried to explain to her what was happening.  One positive thing about that day (besides my permit picture, which turned out awesome)  was the discussion my mom and I had throughout the day; I would tell her how awful everything was and she would said (direct quote) "Oh Hayley, you're making a big deal out of this.  It's probably nothing."  Despite the emotional memories and tragedy of the day, my mom had given me something to really laugh about because she was too stubborn to admit that it was going to impact EVERYONE in the country.

In other interesting facts, 10 years ago I first started driving and I have yet to be pulled over (knock on wood).  Also, I still think it's weird that the DMV was open for the remainder of the day and I was even able to get my permit.  Most of the employees working that day seemed as clueless as my mom had been.

So tonight I'm saying a prayer of thanks that God protected all of my friends and family on that day and that He worked through so many amazing heroes to save lives.  I can't imagine the pain and heartache people are feeling today, and I hope they are able to cope and have the peace of God to comfort them.       

No comments:

Post a Comment