Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Off

Today I didn't have to work, which was GLORIOUS.  I know my job is only part time, but I realized today the shackles I'm bound to with this 20 hour a week job. I am missing so much SNACKING and TELEVISION and SLEEPING and SAVED BY THE BELL RERUNS, it's basically criminal.  I didn't want today to end, it was so amazing and relaxing, but every time I would look at the clock and realize my day was slipping out of my reach, it would totally bum me out.  There was just not enough time in the day for me to watch all the Top Chef that I wanted to.
But I made the most of my day, watching lots of tv and doubling my daily caloric intake.  Amazing day.

For the third day in a row, the drywall guy came to fix some of the spots that were done wrong or chipped when we moved in.  He's an interesting guy.  I don't want to say he has tourettes, but I don't want to rule it out, either.  The very first day he came, he didn't do any work, we just walked from room to room, pointing out the things that needed to be fixed.  Every spot angered him more and he has the mouth of...well...a drywall-er.  He swears a lot, which doesn't surprise me, but what I do find to be surprising is that he has a habit of finishing every angry sentence with "anyways."  For example, he saw a huge blister that had to be fixed in our guest bedroom and he yelled "Son of a Beach, anyways!"  He would also yell out Jesus C (totally not even comfortable typing that all out) a lot and finish it with "anyways" which I find equally bizarre.  How does someone end up with such a strange speaking habit?  What if I started every angry sentence with "As it happens"?   "As it happens, I want to cut your face in half!"  Actually I find that syntax to be much more logical than his, so advantage: Hayley.
That first day he came over, as we were walking through the house, he was asking me lots of questions about us, one which was my name.  I answered honestly, as most would, and didn't think anything of it.  The next day (yesterday), when he was finishing up, he said "Okay Madonna, I'm all set here!"  Long pause...I figured surely he was on the phone or something because according to my speech patterns, Hayley and Madonna sound nothing alike.  Finally I said "Umm do you need me?"  He said "Yep, I'm outta here.  All done--see you tomorrow."  So he was calling me Madonna.  That's probably the most insulting thing I've ever been called....

Last night I went to another of Jacob's basketball games, not because i was bribed by a baby, but because I actually wanted to watch him play (and nothing good was on tv).  I always love the guys in small town city leagues who are convinced they're gangsters, even though they're 5'5, 140 lb white dudes.  You can wear those shorts as baggy as you want, but your name is still Richard and you're a bank teller. 

Anyway, this homie pimp-walked into the gym like he owned it, and I nearly laughed out loud at the twin tattoos he had on either side of his collarbone.  Somehow he was able to find a tattoo artist in North Dakota who could recreate Scarlett Johansson's tattoo!
Listen guy, if it's street cred you're looking for, you're not going to get it by tattooing Lisa Frank images onto your body.  Poor guy had a rough night.  He was about a foot shorter than everyone else, and the only shot he even got a chance at taking, Jacob blocked so hard it bounced of the guys forehead.  Ouch.  
For the month of February, since it's Heart Health month, the cardiac rehab department of the hospital is doing a contest for the employees.  You get a pedometer and a piece of paper to track the number of steps you take per day.  The goal is to reach 10,000 per day.  At the end of the month, after keeping track of all of your steps, you turn in your sheet and people that participate are eligible for a door prize.  I realize the door prize will be something lame and boring, but you have no idea how much I want to win it.  In all likelihood it will just be another pedometer, but I am determined to win that prize.  Even though it's only day 2 of the month, I've found myself trying to add on extra steps to boost my place in the competition.  Tonight, while Jacob was at the gym, I just walked in circles around our kitchen island, cackling to myself for my great, wicked plan.  Those losers don't know who they're messing with!  I WILL WIN THIS.  I'm not sure why I'm not this jazzed about The Biggest Loser competition we're doing at work, which has a $200 prize, but it's clear that the realist in me has given up the $200 in exchange for unlimited chips, cookies, and a brand new pedometer. 

So next week marks the beginning of my next training program.  Hunter, Jacob and I are seriously considering running a half marathon in Vancouver in May, so I have to start training NOW since the race is only 93 days away.  We haven't signed up, but we're all pretty pumped about the course and the chance to see Canada.  I'm a little nervous about doing all that running again, but I'm really hoping it will be easier this time around.  I'll let you know.......




No comments:

Post a Comment