Thursday, January 12, 2012

Closing. Blech.

Well.  We made it through closing.  I'm too drained to go through the whole thing, but it was ugly.  It all worked out okay in the end, but I did have to excuse myself for awhile because I was crying.  Ugh.  Long story short, the builder got really offended when we asked for money back from something that wasn't done because he had spent like $10,000 on stuff that he could have billed us for but didn't.  We had no idea that he had incurred those costs, and would never have asked for a $500 credit knowing he did that, but it was just a mess.  To be fair, I was already extremely rattled going into closing because I was running late, couldn't find all the documents we needed, and had gotten a call less than 15 minutes before closing from Jacob, saying he had a flat tire.  When I pulled into the parking lot late, I had barely opened my car door and was reaching for my purse, when the wind gusted the door open and slammed it into the car next to me.  I checked to make sure it wasn't dented, and when I saw it was just a paint scuff that would come off, I gathered my things and started to walk towards the building.  Unfortunately, the lady who owned the car was just setting her stuff inside it when the wind rammed my door into her car, so she was inspecting the side of the car and checking out my license plate, all while giving me a dirty face I'd normally be impressed with, but was instead demoralized by.  Even though I didn't cause any damage, I still felt terrible because she obviously thought I am some horrible person, and I was fully expecting a pile of crap on my window when I came back later.  So all of that frenzy combined with feeling attacked by our builder totally overwhelmed me and I just completely broke down.  I got in a few snippy comments to him while he was yelling at us before the Hayley in me took over and I just started sobbing.  I wonder how many closings they've been to where the home buyer cries.  I'd guess not a lot.  Somehow I have GOT to get over this crying thing.  It is so obnoxious.  I seriously hate how much I cry.  Maybe if I'm lobotomized that will stop.  What's really funny/ironic about the whole mess with closing is that our realtor totally saved herself for us because she did a great job of playing the mediator when I was crying, Jacob was frustrated, and our builder looked like he wanted to punch our teeth out.  I still think they just don't understand how much easier we would have been to work with if they communicated better with us.  The whole mess could have been avoided if we'd just been kept aware of all the things the builder was doing for us.  Eh, oh well.  Lesson learned, I guess.

I'm completely moved over to my new office at work.  The good thing is that I have my own desk and phone and work space, which I didn't have before.  The bad thing is that my office is in an old x-ray room, so the walls are covered in lead paint, there are  no windows and I get zero cell phone coverage.  It's totally a cave.  Also, our supplies area is still filled with stuff from one of the other departments, which is kind of annoying because there are cabinets and drawers we could be using for storage.  BUT, on the plus side, I could probably sneak out a knee brace and no one would have a clue.

I promised myself I'd go to bed early tonight, so I'll leave you with this, The Fifteen Greatest 30 Rock Pop Culture References.  I'm sure there are some great ones left off the list, but personally I think it's awesome.  Probably my favorite is the Don Cheadle reference.  I could legit watch that clip 100 times and it would get 100 laughs.  If you love 30 Rock, you'll love this.  I guess the only thing I can really think of that they're missing is the Barbara Walters impersonation by Rachael Dratch, the Wesley Snipes joke with English Wesley, and a montage of the LOST references.  Anything you wish they'd included?

No comments:

Post a Comment