Monday, July 2, 2012

Thank Heavens For Brother-In-Laws

This weekend was pretty hectic, and Sunday night was really no exception.  After driving from our apartment out to Spring to have dinner at my parents, I got to the area and my warning light for low tire pressure came on.  That's never good.  I pulled over to check on the tires, but none were noticeably low, so after a call to Jacob to make sure I could go the 5-7 miles to my parent's house before adding air, I was on my way.  Getting to my parent's house, my brother in law, Jonathan, was helping me check the tires to see which was low.  It took him about 4 seconds to be like "umm it's this tire."  I'm telling myself it's because he's exceedingly smarter than I am, but really I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm pretty oblivious and didn't hear the hissing sound coming from the rear wheel.  After just a minute of feeling for the leak, Jonathan found the big nail stuck in my tire, which unfortunately had found itself lodged in the side, rather than the tread, meaning it could NOT be patched and I would be buying a new tire.  About this time, my sister Ashley pulled up with her family. Thanks to her handy and extremely helpful husband, Philip, my (increasingly) flat tire was pulled off in no time and my spare was put on.  While Philip worked diligently on my tire, Jonathan called around to see if any place would be open for me to buy a new tire at 6pm on a Sunday so I didn't have to drive all around Houston on something that looked like a pool floatie.  The Walmart in front of my parent's neighborhood told Jonathan that they weren't accepting any more cars that day, despite their automotive center being open for 2 more hours.
Thankfully Jonathan doesn't take no for an answer, so he called another Walmart that was only like 5 minutes away, and they said I could go there.  Once the spare was on, I headed out with my sister, Ashley, who was kind enough to spend the next two hours with me at Walmart while my car was being fixed.  It wasn't a complete waste of time (for me at least) since she walked me through the baby section to point out things I needed for my registry.  After 2 hours and $115, the tire was fixed and we headed back to my parent's house for dinner.   I know it could've been worse, and I'm really REALLY thankful I had Jonathan and Philip there to basically take over the situation for me while I stood on the curb, killing ants.  I'm just so sick of paying for these unexpected expenses (like the $300 cell phone bill we got today), and it's not really fun to feel like you're hemorraging money right before you close on a house. 
Anyway, like I said, it could have been way worse, so I'm super grateful to Jonathan and Philip (and Mandy and Ashley for letting their husbands basically ditch them to help me) for being there and being so helpful.  So thanks again, brothers!  Love you! 

Jacob went out of town today for work.  He'll be back tomorrow, so it's no big deal, but it's the first time I've been alone in this apartment and it's really weird.  Andy agrees with me--he's spent the entire evening either by the window or by the door.  I think the poor guy is really going to have a hard time relaxing without Jacob here.  I'd say the same for Oscar, but it'd be a lie.  He's been sleeping the entire day.  Although, in the last hour, I've noticed that the swollen gland he has on  his eye has busted.  Gross, I know, but it's really killing me.  I've wiped quite a bit of blood off his face and I have a feeling I'll be calling the vet first thing in the morning if he's still keeping it closed when I wake up.  Poor guy.  I probably need to just pay to have the surgery done to remove it, but I don't want to put the poor guy through that.  Hopefully he'll feel better in the morning once it's scabbed.

So they replayed last week's episode of RHoNJ tonight.  I didn't catch the whole thing, since Jacob called me while he was driving from Midland to Carlsbad, but I'm REALLY hoping they will play the episode from TWO weeks ago, so I can see the fight that started it all between Jacqueline and Teresa.  Regardless, I took notes during the episode tonight, so I'll probably be blogging about that sometime tomorrow.  Be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment